So, this is the collander full of haul from last Sunday. And for good measure, I rescued all my king’s crowns from the lanai and oiled them too. I figure after being in the freezer for weeks, and then on the lanai for weeks, if something was going to hatch from them, it would have happened by now. The colors popped nicely after oiling, and they didn’t need much blotting; soaked it right up!
Anyway, now that every banded tulip in the house is oiled up, I think the next group will be lightening whelks. I already have a glass cookie jar filled with the bigger ones that I’ve found, so what’s due for a shining are palm-of-your-hand and smaller sized whelks.
I’m never going to leave all the shining for “later” ever again! It’s a domino effect; I can’t fill these lamps and such without the shells looking as purty as they can, so I have to wait until all the shells are shined. *sigh* Never again! Shoot me if I put shells away without them being shined first!
ABOVE: While I was rummaging around for all the tulips, I stumbled across and liberated a cache of lace murex, including the one on the bottom right that looks like toasted coconut. I love the little pink tips on them when they are small-ish like these are.
BELOW: There were a few true tulips hiding out among the banded ones. As soon as they have soaked up sufficient oily goodness, they shall join their brethren in the vat of true tulips on the breakfast bar. Also found an angel wing, the first I ever found. I found two others. One is small and sits on the breakfast bar. The other one I gave away to a young kid I met shelling with his mom at the Lighthouse Beach right after TD Alberto in June 2006. That’s a dime down there for scale.
You know, in those early years of shelling, I had no freakin’ clue what I was doing. Subsequently, I picked up a lot of crap! Well, here’s a vat of some crappy ones. They will make good “filler”. See, only the shells on the perimeter of the lamps will be seen, not what’s behind them. So the crap shells can be the “filler” behind the good stuff.
I sorta got a bee in my bonnet about those lamps I bought at Target (pronounced “Tarzhay”) last week. I want to fill them with shells. I bought some long BBQ skewers to use like chopsticks to manipulate the shells around inside the lamps. And then I shined all the shells that I collected last weekend during the All-Night Shelling Extravaganza. For smooth shells, you can just oil your palms and roll the shell between them. However, I’ve recently discovered the efficiency of a basting brush for shells with a lot of nooks and crannies, such as king’s crowns.
But after I was done, they only filled that there collander you see on the breakfast bar in the photo above. Well, that won’t even fill ONE of the lamps, never mind the matched set.
So then I decided it was high time I shined all the shells I’ve been collecting all these years, so I would have more shells to help fill these lamps. I started with the tulips. I had to go into the closet in my office and pull out the big Rubbermaid bin with all the stuff from 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2005; all those years I vacationed down here before deciding to relocate from NY. The stuff from 2006 and 2007 lives in bins in a kitchen cabinet, since I got that stuff while living here, so I pulled that stuff out too.
So, here are a fair quantity of banded tulips of all variants and sizes, soaking up a bunch of oily goodness.