If you dig it, they will come – “Santiva”, Florida

© Copyright 2008 Tink *~*~*

083020091022-bridge-view-Blind-Pass-Captiva

Flowing through Blind Pass
it’s water under the bridge –
lots of fishes, too!

Florida’s fabulous cloud formations float above the newly-dredged Blind Pass, a waterway between the islands of Sanibel and Captiva in Southwest Florida. The area is sometimes affectionately referred to as “Santiva”. The Pass is something of a marvel to my eyes. Before moving to Southwest Florida in 2006, I had been vacationing on Sanibel annually for several years and never saw more than puddles under the bridge.

Now, thanks to the Army Corps of Engineers, a swift current swirls through the Pass, and the local news is currently reporting abundances of mackerel, kingfish – and sharks! If you look closely, you can see several heads bobbing out there in the mouth of the pass. I’m betting they haven’t read the local news lately… :shock:

Some of you with sharp eyes may also have noticed that in addition to fishes, the Pass also attracts a species known as “militant shellers”. Bonus points if you know who they are! ;o)

Photobucket HAIKU FRIDAY LOGO PhotoStory Friday

Subscriptions to My Mobile Adventures are fun and absolutely FREE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

15 comments for “If you dig it, they will come – “Santiva”, Florida

1. October 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Hi Tink, I just found the article/post I had about the glacier. If you have time this is the link:

Happy weekend.

2. October 15, 2009 at 8:37 pm

I don’t know what to look at first: The massive clouds above or the azure Gulf below. This walkway is perfect, wide enough for two persons side by side, and to narrow for (most) powered vehicles. So a safe traversing for us, to admire the nautical creatures and enjoy living in the lovely Autumn SW Florida skies. A stunner!

3. October 15, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Militant shellers? Usually indicate where the fish are. Might be.

4. October 15, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Oooooooo I LOVE the sky in this shot!!!

I took some really cool shots last weekend with big sky in them that made me think of you!

5. October 15, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Oh. I want to be there. Right now. This instant.
    Beautiful!
    ~~~Blessings~~~

6. October 16, 2009 at 10:31 am

interesting post. and I have no idea what they are. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

7. October 16, 2009 at 11:01 am

Apparently I need to get my eyes checked. I couldn’t see any of the things you mentioned. The only life forms that I could pick out were the human species that you have so wonderfully captured.
    I love the clouds in the sky they are quite lovely!
    If you’d like to stop by my blog I’m at Cake Crumbs.

8. October 16, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I LOVE these cloud formations. Very nicely captured. Looks like a nice place to catch a sunset. :)

Thanks for playing along. Happy Friday!

-Tisha

9. October 16, 2009 at 2:47 pm

i love the sanibel area! it’s gorgeous….and now, i must go again. i think i’ll find me a few shells. ok, well, i will just dream it. but thanks for the picture.

10. October 16, 2009 at 8:18 pm

So beautiful and peaceful. It’s amazing what they’ve done with the water flow.

11. October 17, 2009 at 12:09 pm

What dramatic cloud formations you captured. The water and the walkway look most inviting to me today, as I look out at a gray sky in Connecticut.

Lovely scenery!

12. October 17, 2009 at 1:40 pm

The clouds are pretty cool!

13. October 17, 2009 at 2:22 pm

What MARVELOUS clouds in your lovely scenic view!
    Hugs and blessings,

14. October 17, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Oh! How I love Florida skies and water! Beautiful photos of your beautiful state of Florida!

15. October 18, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Well now…wouldn’t those shellers be Tootie and Chris and Jon…and now the Snowbirds? Beautiful photo. And someone tell those people to get out of the water! Have fun on vacation.