Scenes from the Tuscan garden

© Copyright 2008 Tink *~*~*

IMG_3556-WDW-EPCOT-Diana:) This year’s Flower and Garden Festival at EPCOT featured outdoor living spaces set in a Tuscan garden. There was a grove of olive trees spread with slate-gray gravel, in the center of which stood Diana, mistress of the hunt. You might remember Diana. She was featured at the end of the drunken Bacchus scene in Disney’s Fantasia. She shot an arrow into the twilight sky, which burst with stars. However, she looked a wee bit different than pictured here; in the film, she was fully clothed ;)

After a bit of research, I am unable to determine why Diana was chosen to grace the Tuscan garden. She’s not especially connected to Tuscany. In fact, most of the known shrines to Diana in Italy stand significantly further south. This will have to remain a mystery – perhaps it’s simply a random selection by the CM who themed the garden.

IMG_3554-WDW-EPCOT-rainwater-cisternAlthough I did study Italian briefly in school, that was many years ago so I needed to take a photo of this phrase written in the round on the patio. It was the word “piovana”, which I’d never heard before, that was baffling me. When I got to a computer, I googled it. “Cisterna di acqua piovana” means “reservoir of rain water”. I guess the implication here is that the reservoir is sunken into the ground. I’ve heard that’s a bad thing to do with your rainwater if you’re going to consume it in some way, but I guess if you’re only going to use it to water the plants and you don’t actually drink it or bathe in it or use it to cook, then it is probably ok.

IMG_3553So far we’ve only seen a sign with a reference to “acqua” or “water”. Now we’re going to see the actual water. You may have to click the picture and view it in a larger size to see. Here it is – a fountain mounted on a wall of ivy, in the shape of a ram’s head. See that trickle coming out of his mouth? That’s water! I know, it’s barely a trickle but it is actual, genuine water! There was much more to this outdoor living space, but I will save those photographs for another day.

OutdoorWednesdayLogo WateryWednesdayBadge WordlessWednesdayBadge

You want me to be happy, don’t you?
DON’T YOU? ;)

12 comments for “Scenes from the Tuscan garden

1. June 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Sorry that I can`t see the picture.., but I`v been here:-) Have a nice evening.

2. June 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I cant see it either :( Have a good rest of the week!

Hood Photo Blog

3. June 29, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I’m looking for a similar fountain. Think I can borrow that one and try it out?!!!!!

4. June 29, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Sorry, I can not see the photo either. I check back again later.

5. June 29, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I don’t see the trickle of water but I’ll take your word for it. :-)

6. June 29, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Great shots!

7. June 29, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Ah, I enlarged the fountain, enlarged it again and again over my whole screen and Voila! there was the water clear as day. Avery charming fountain and beautifully captured, as is your whole post.

By the way, don’t listen to all you hear, we have supplied our own water for 40 years, all rain water . Stored in both concrete and iron tanks above and below the ground and are alive and kicking yet.

8. June 29, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Your photos always seem to be squished into a corner but if I click on them I can see them.
    Sydney – City and Suburbs

9. June 29, 2010 at 9:04 pm

piove means rain. wondering if piovana is a cistern?
    The garden has charming features. Jane F.

10. June 29, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Thank you for this story in the EPCOT area. I enjoyed it as I had never seen or heard this.

11. ann
    July 1, 2010 at 1:03 am

I would love to go with you.

12. July 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Hello friends who cannot see the images, or who are seeing them squished.

I would bet that you are not using Firefox. I bet you are using Internet Explorer, and you are NOT running in “compatibility mode”.

This is a fun little feature of Internet Explorer – Firefox has no such problems. Dunno about Chrome as I don’t have it installed at the moment.

So, you need to put your browser in “compatibility mode” and there will be peace in the valley once more. Somewhere up near the URL/address bar, on the right probably, you will see a little icon that looks like a ripped page. Hover over it and it will tell you that’s compatibility mode. Click it and you will see the pictures!

I suspect this is due to Microsoft updates that came ’round recently and probably reset certain settings.

Um, the other thing you could do is not use IE any more and just install Firefox! Here’s a link –

*~*~*