Osprey Cam on Sanibel Island at Ocean’s Reach

IMG_3854-Sanibel-Lighthouse-Beach-OspreyHere’s a very cool thing – Ocean’s Reach on Sanibel Island has set up an osprey-cam! Mama Osprey laid three eggs just around Christmas. She’s been sitting on them ever since, but I just got to see the eggs – guess mama’s got to have a break sometime. Her mate is now hovering over them, watching the skies for her return.

I can’t wait to see the hatchlings – this is going to be fun :) You can check out the cam at this link -

Osprey Cam on Sanibel Island at Ocean’s Reach.

10 comments for “Osprey Cam on Sanibel Island at Ocean’s Reach

1. January 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

How cool! I love ospreys. I’ve never seen their eggs, though. All of “birth” is amazing, amazing that any baby things fit inside their whatevers.

2. January 7, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Oh my gosh! She was turning them — I saw them, too! Amazing.

3. January 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Aren’t those eggs seriously the cutest little things you ever did see? I wanna see some fluff in that nest soon! I have read a range of gestation periods 32-43 days, so we are definitely looking at late January/early February for hatchlings.

*~*~*

4. ChrisC
    January 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Neat!!!!

5. January 8, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Funny, I have a blog post all made with this on it, just put off getting it posted. I love it too! :)

6. Adrienne O'Brien
    February 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

It looks like there is some movement in the osprey nest when Mom moves away some. It is too much in shadow to tell, but it could be one chick. Check it out.

7. Adrienne O'Brien
    February 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

Yes, one chick definitely and maybe two! She’s feeding them and Dad has flown in with a fish making a racket. (I am at Ocean’s Reach on Sanibel where I can see the nest from a 4th floor condo.)

8. February 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm

That’s awesome – must be SOME view from up there. Hope you had a great stay on Sanibel :)

*~*~*