© Copyright 2008 Tink *~*~*
A gem of a Disney site: DisneyAnimation.com
I came across this site several months ago and bookmarked it for exploration “someday”. Well, today’s the day! This is the official site of Walt Disney Animation Studios, located at http://www.disneyanimation.com
The landing or index page for Walt Disney Animation Studios is currently featuring scenes from the latest Walt Disney Pictures release BOLT. Every time the page is refreshed, a different scene is displayed. Of course, there is a link to the official site for BOLT, which features a lot of fun activities for children of all ages 😉
The Walt Disney Animation Studios site features three sections that are full of interesting facts, photos and links related to the history of the studio and its output as well as facts about planned future releases and career advice
Here are some of my favorite highlights from this site:
ABOUT US – on this page there are different animation drawings displayed, depending upon which link you hover over. The Tinker Bell drawing is adorable. Under the ABOUT US tab you can find out about the studio in Burbank, check out links to all of Disney’s animated films and learn about what an aspiring animator can do to prepare for a possible career in the world of animation.
PROJECTS – This is the good stuff! Here you’ll find links to current projects that are being developed and implemented by the Walt Disney Animation Studios. The projects listed as of the time of this writing are –
- BOLT – this is the most complete of the projects sites – lots of goodies here.
- The Princess and the Frog – Thank you, Disney. Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing hand-drawn animation back! The stories and the characters that Pixar comes up with are amazing, but there’s something about them that leaves me cold, as compared to traditional hand-drawn animation. There’s an initial trailer posted here, featuring snippets of the soundtrack by Randy Newman. This one is due in 2010. I am looking forward to it. I am so happy that hand-drawn is back, I cannot even muster up the righteous indignation necessary to rant about Yet Another Princess character 🙂
- Rapunzel – no date given, just a synopsis of the story.
- The King of the Elves – same here, no dates, just a brief outline
- Shorts – there are three short films described, and one of them, featuring Goofy, provides a snippet of video plus some stills. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m kind of excited that it looks like Disney wants to bring back the short film.
CAREERS – in this last section, there’s some valuable information about the types of careers one can have in animation, paid internships at Walt Disney Animation Studios, and instructions about the application process.
All in all, I think it’s a pretty neat site. I’m so happy that Disney’s animation studio seems to be flourishing and thriving. I miss the studio in Orlando, you know, the one that had actual animators in it. Perhaps someday I’ll make the trek to Burbank and get a tour. In the meantime, you can be sure that I will be checking back with the Walt Disney Animation Studios website frequently, to see if they’ve added any music or video from the upcoming projects, or even if they’ve added any new projects.