© Copyright 2008 Tink *~*~*
(Pelicanus occidentalis – click the photo to see a larger version in Flickr)
1. Pelicans have been around for about 40 million years, the earliest form of pelican having been found fossilized in France
2. The male of the pelican species pitches in to help incubate the eggs, much like a penguin does.
3. There are various legends in various cultures that would have the pelican either nourishing or resurrecting her young with her own blood
4. The pelican is the state bird of Louisianna
5. Pelicans may have been worshipped in ancient Peru; they are depicted in a lot of Peruvian art
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART – a bystander captured video footage of a white pelican in St James Park, England swallowing a pigeon whole and live! The footage shows the pigeon continuing to struggle inside the pelican for quite sometime. DON’T CLICK IF YOU DON’T WANT TO SEE!
Happy Critturday !!! (<=== you read that here first!)
If you’d like to subscribe to this blog, here are some options: